Healthy Lungs Definition
Healthy lungs play an essential role in keeping us strong, healthy, and vital. Respiration feeds every cell in the body with oxygen.
Without enough oxygen, people are more likely to develop respiratory diseases (such as COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ) and heart disease.
However, experts believe that regular breathing is not enough to maintain oxygen flow at peak levels through the body.
During most daily activities, the lungs are only at 50% capacity and only grow with movement and exercise.
How to keep your Lungs fit and What are the Types?
- The following recommendations can improve the health of our lungs and help protect these essential organs
1. Diaphragmatic Breathing
- This technique uses awareness of the diaphragm, which separates the organs of the abdomen and the lungs.
- Focus on lowering your diaphragm as you inhale, so you get a much more in-depth inhale. And it is the method that professional singers use to increase their lung capacity.
2. Simple Deep Breathing
- Inhale slowly as you consciously expand your belly and lower your diaphragm. Feel your ribs widen, and your upper chest enlarge.
- Next, breathe out completely, relax your chest, and contract your ribs. Finally, bring the stomach muscles up, lift the diaphragm and expel the last bit of air. It also helps to reach the maximum capacity of the lungs.
3. Counting the Breath
- We can increase our lung capacity by increasing the duration of inhalations and exhalations. Count how long it takes for a natural inhalation.
- If you take 5 seconds to inhale, you also need 5 seconds to exhale. Then add one more second to each inhale and exhale until your lungs are empty.
- The idea is to avoid straining or being uncomfortable, as it is a gradual and easy process.
4. Observing your Posture
- The lungs are soft structures that only occupy the space we create for them.
- A simple technique to give them more width is to lie slightly in a stable chair, lift the chest, and open the body’s front while breathing deeply.
5. Staying Hydrated
- Drinking enough fluids throughout the day helps the lungs’ mucous tissues thin, which favors their functioning.
- Laughter is a great exercise to work your abdominal muscles and increase lung capacity. It can also cleanse the lungs by expelling stale air and letting fresh air into more lung areas.
7. Be Active
- Regular physical activity is excellent for the lungs. It increases our daily routine’s intensity, the benefits triple (improves mood and the lungs and heart).
- And try to get at least 20 minutes of consistent, moderately intense movement every day, such as a brisk walk or bike ride.
8. Breathing Workshops
- If you cannot be active due to lung problems, you can also join a breathing workshop the
benefits triple (improves mood and the health of the lungs and heart.
- Here you can work on breathing techniques and share experiences and information with other people, improving your life quality.
- And the body’s natural defense system is designed to protect the lungs, keeping dirt and germs at bay. But it is vital to take care of them. Don’t smoke, eat well, and get regular medical checkups.