Mental Health Job Definition
Basically, mental health job is a vast field and offers a wide range of mental health jobs. In general, most of these jobs involve consulting clients or patients.
Some mental health professionals include psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, clinical social workers, and professional counselors.
And professionals is mostly responsible for helping patients who diagnosed with emotional problems and mental illness.
There are various professions in the mental health field, and each of these has a ton of career options.
What are the Various Professions in Mental Health?
1. Professional Advisor
- Several jobs fall under the category of mental health counselors.
- And all of these involve helping and assisting individuals by providing counseling and achieving a healthy mind.
- And mental health counselors use their skills and knowledge to diagnose and evaluate psychological problems, social problems, and behavior problems.
- A typical diagnosis is generally based on clients’ conversation, evaluating the client’s education, family history, work, friends, living conditions, and conducting specialized tests.
- And health counselors generally come from diverse educational backgrounds, but most of them have degrees in nursing, psychology, human services, social work, etc.
- They generally have to get graduation from high school. And complete graduation ranging from one to four years in psychotherapeutic counseling or psychology.
- They obtain one of the nofollowing degrees to become a professional counselor – MEd (Master of Education), Master of Psychology, MSW (Master of Social Work).
- And also even complete a doctorate in Psychology and Education (Ph.D. or Bed) if they are interested. To become a licensed professional counselor, an individual has to have a master’s degree.
- They complete a four-year program at a reputable college in any of the disciplines above, such as psychology, social work, human services, etc.
- To have a mental health job as a psychologist, an individual needs to have a doctorate in psychology or be a psychologist.
- A doctorate generally requires five years of full-time graduate study. A particular diploma is equivalent and mostly needed in some states for an individual to work as a school psychologist.
- Also, to obtain a license, you need to pass a certification exam.
- After completing the MD program, the entire psychiatry program begins.
- An individual trying to get a job as a psychiatrist has to complete a four-year psychiatric residency program and even undergo inpatient training in psychiatry.
4. Social Worker
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) is a minimum requirement to be qualified for most of these jobs. And a master’s degree (MSW) is generally required to secure a job in private or public agencies.