Our skin is a complex structure that is made up of many important components, such as collagen and elastin. Beginning after 20 years of age, collagen and elastin, which help to keep our skin strong, resilient, and flexible, begin to wane by 1 percent every year.. Over time, this can result in wrinkles being more apparent.
Since so many facial expressions involve moving our eyebrows, there is inevitably some wrinkling of the forehead as we venture through life’s journey. Fortunately, there are some ways to soften even the deepest forehead wrinkles, and potentially even delay or prevent them from developing.
Procedures Designed to Minimize or Soften Wrinkles Deep Forehead Wrinkles
Some procedures can reduce or eliminate the appearance of deep forehead wrinkles. These include the below.
- Neuromodulators: Neuromodulators are wrinkle-relaxing injections of Botulinum toxin type A. Commercially, these are known as Botox Cosmetic, Dysport, Xeomin, or Jeuveau. They are used to treat wrinkles, including forehead furrows and crow’s feet.
- Microneedling: A dermatologist may suggest microneedling for a number of reasons. During this procedure, a dermatologist or licensed esthetician uses special microneedling tools to penetrate the skin. This creates small wounds, allowing increased production of collagen, which helps to keep the skin looking lifted and plump.
- LED light therapy: Red LED light therapy is a non-invasive option to treat fine lines and wrinkles. Red light LED therapy helps to boost collagen production by reducing inflammation, which can diminish the collagen stores that we have.
- Chemical peels. In a chemical peel, potent skin-care acids are applied to remove the outer layer of dead skin. As a result, the fresh skin looks less wrinkled and smoother in appearance.
Tips to Delay or Prevent Deep Forehead Wrinkles From Forming
It is important to note that fine lines and wrinkles are a natural part of aging. However, you may wonder if deep forehead lines can be delayed, or even prevented. Let’s walk through some lifestyle tips that could help with this.
- Protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation: When you leave your home each day, you are exposing the skin to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from natural sunlight. UV radiation accelerates the rate when collagen becomes damaged, which can result in premature signs of aging and an increased risk of developing sun cancer. Dermatologists recommend wearing daily sunscreen of at least SPF 30 and reapplying every two hours spent outside.
- Eliminate nicotine products: Nicotine is one of the many harmful chemicals found in cigarettes. Nicotine promotes premature signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles. It restricts the flow of nutrients and oxygen to cells throughout the body, ultimately speeding up the aging process, which can lead to premature wrinkles. Stopping smoking can slow the progression of lines.
- Use a retinol or retinoid cream: Retinol is one of the most potent ingredients in face creams responsible for fighting wrinkles. Retinol is a vitamin A derivative, and is available over-the-counter. Retinoids—and there are a few to choose from—provide retinoic acid in the most active form for your skin to utilize. These are designed to increase the production of collagen and elastin — two key elements in reducing fine lines and wrinkle progression.
- Moisturize daily and hydrate: Dehydrated skin results in more apparent lines. Drinking plenty of water and topically moisturizing your face with hyaluronic acid or moisturizer daily helps keep the skin well-hydrated and plump from the inside and out.
What’s the Bottom Line About Deep Forehead Wrinkles?
While forehead wrinkles are a natural part of aging, there are things you can do to reduce their appearance or progression, including consulting with a dermatologist about your options for minimizing or softening wrinkles. And, remember, there are plenty of steps you can take proactively that may slow or prevent their development.
If you have any other tips on maintaining healthy skin as you age, please share them in the comments below.