Is your nail game weak? Are you not sure how to keep your nails healthy and strong? Well, have no fear. We’re here to help. We’ll be discussing some tips for keeping your nails looking beautiful and healthy. We’ve collected exactly what you need to know, from basic dos and don’ts to next-level care like the well-kept secret of hand masks. So, whether you’re a self-care enthusiast or just someone who wants pretty nails, read on. You won’t regret it.
A Quick Fingernail Tutorial
Consider this your crash course in what’s normal and what’s not when it comes to your fingernails.
Most of us take our fingernails for granted. After all, they’re just a small part of our bodies, and we don’t give them much thought on a day-to-day basis. But have you ever wondered what fingernails are and why we have them?
Simply put, fingernails are composed of a hard protein called keratin. They grow from the bottom of the nail, which is called the nail bed. As new cells grow at the base of the nail, older cells are pushed outward, resulting in the growth of the nail.
There are a few variations of fingernails that are relatively common. For example, some people have ridges in their nails, while others have curved nails. Ridges are actually quite common, and they can become more prominent with age. There are a few different theories about why these ridges occur. Still, the most likely explanation is that they’re simply a result of wear and tear.
You may also notice white spots or lines. The most common cause of these is injury or trauma to the nail. When the nail is damaged, the blood vessels underneath constrict, and the injured area becomes white. Over time, white spots will disappear as the nail grows out.
If you notice anything unusual about your nails, it’s always best to consult a doctor or dermatologist. Here are some things to look for:
- Changes in color, texture or shape
- Nails that are brittle, crumbly or ragged
- Nails that are thickened or separated from the nail bed
- Any changes that are accompanied by other symptoms like pain, redness or swelling
If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with your healthcare provider. They’ll be able to give you the best advice on how to care for your nails and ensure that they stay healthy and look their best. Now, on to the fun stuff.
Helping Your Nails Look Their Best
The Dos of Nail Care
To keep your fingernails looking their best, there are a few basic things you need to do:
- Keep them clean. This means regularly washing your hands and keeping your nails free of dirt and debris. You can use a soft brush or a nail file to clean under your nails.
- Use a good-quality nail polish remover. Be sure to remove all of the polish from your nails. Don’t forget to care for the skin around your nails, as well, by ensuring you wipe off any excess and moisturize as needed.
- Trim your nails regularly. Trim them straight across and try to avoid cutting them too short.
- Moisturize your nails and hands. This will help keep them hydrated, which in turn keeps them healthy. And don’t forget to use a high-quality cuticle cream to keep your cuticles looking good.
- File in one direction. When filing your nails, always file in one direction to avoid taking off too much nail and ruining their shape.
The Don’ts of Nail Care
There are also a few things you should avoid when it comes to taking care of your nails:
- Don’t bite your nails. This can damage the nail bed and make your nails weak and break easily.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or cleaners on your nails. This can damage the nail plate and cause them to become dry and cracked.
- Don’t use excessive force when filing your nails. This can cause them to become thin and weak.
- Don’t rip off hangnails. This can cause infection and damage to the nail. Instead, clip them off with a pair of clean scissors.
- Don’t soak your nails in water for long periods. This can cause them to become soft and brittle. And always be sure to dry your nails well after washing your hands.
Next-Level Nail Health Hacks
Now that you know nail care basics, it’s time to take things up a notch. Here are some tips and tricks for keeping your nails healthy and beautiful:
- Use hand masks regularly. Using a hand mask helps create a protective barrier around the skin to help lock in moisture and leaves hands baby-soft and healthy. They only take about 20 minutes and are a great way to practice some self-care.
- Let the professionals take care of you. Going for a mani/pedi every now and then is a great way to give your nails a break. Let the professionals take care of them and give you some tips on how to take care of them at home. Just be sure to only go to licensed, reputable salons that practice proper sterilization techniques.
- Use biotin supplements. According to research, biotin is a mineral that may help promote healthy nail growth. You can find biotin supplements at most drug stores. However, consult your dermatologist or doctor before starting any new supplements.
They’re Worth It
So, there you have it. All the must-know nail care tips you need to keep your hands healthy and looking their best. We know that taking care of your nails can seem like a lot of work, but we promise it’s worth it. Not only will your nails look nicer, but taking care of them can also be a great way to practice self-care. And who doesn’t need a little more of that in their life?
Thanks for reading, and we hope this post has helped put everything about nails into perspective for you. Now go get yourself some pretty polish and take care of those babies!