To help you quickly make your homemade lip balm, we share our best DIY recipe to take care of your lips naturally—all you have to choose your ingredients and follow the manufacturing steps in our tutorial.
Why is Taking Care Of Your Lips All Year Round So Important?
- A pretty mouth is, first of all, supple and well-hydrated lips.
- Cold is the leading cause of dry lips, but it is not the only cause: the sun, dry air, and heat can also dry them out.
- Protecting them regularly with nourishing care is essential, and it’s even better if we use our homemade lip balm.
Making your Homemade Lip Balm is Easy
- One of the easiest homemade recipes to make is the recipe for natural lip balm. It is often the first recipe you realize when you start making your cosmetics.
- Also, making your lip balm has many advantages:
- It’s much healthier, as we swallow half of the balm that we apply to our lips.
- Making your own 100% natural and organic lip balm allows you not to swallow substances that could be harmful to health (paraffin, silicones, polymers, etc.).
- Economical since just four ingredients are enough to make at least twenty lipsticks.
- We can adapt the recipe according to our desires by choosing the ingredients to make up our homemade lip balm.
- It is an enjoyable activity that we can share with friends or even with our children.
The Ingredients of Homemade Lip Balm
Homemade lip balm only needs a few ingredients bound to be in our closet when making cosmetics yourself.
1. Vegetable Butter
The vegetable butter helps give consistency to the balm and its nourishing and healing properties, which will help repair chapped or damaged lips.
And also, vegetable butter of your choice: shea butter or cocoa butter
2. Vegetable Oil
Vegetable oil is also an essential ingredient in the lip balm recipe. It nourishes and protects the lips from dryness or external aggressions.
And also, vegetable oil of your choice: coconut oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, or argan oil
Firstly, the wax is a texturizing agent that helps solidify the stick balm. Its emollient properties contribute to the protective and nourishing action of the lip balm.
Wax of your choice: beeswax or soy wax (vegan)
4. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is a natural preservative that prevents vegetable oils and butter’s rancidity, but it is also a recognized active for the lips’ care.
How to Customize Your Lip Balm?
To personalize the taste of your lip balm, add five drops of essential oils or aromatic extracts of your choice.
- A precision balance
- One bowl
- One syringe or one mini funnel (optional)
- An empty lipstick of 5ml
Ingredients for 10g of Balm
- 6.5g vegetable butter
- 2g of vegetable oil
- 1.5g of wax
- One drop of vitamin E (tocopherol)
The Lip Balm Recipe
Follow the steps of our homemade recipe for a lip balm that is easy to make in less than 10 minutes.
- Pour all the recipe ingredients: vegetable butter, vegetable oil, and wax into a bowl. Add a drop of vitamin E.
- Firstly, heat the bowl in a double boiler until the wax is liquid.
- Secondly, when the preparation is entirely liquid, remove the bowl from the water bath.
- Immediately pour the still-hot preparation into your empty stick, possibly using a syringe or a mini funnel. Be careful; the practice solidifies quickly.
- If necessary, put it back in the water bath to heat it again.
- Lastly, place the stick in the refrigerator for 2 hours to solidify the balm. It’s already ready!